Never lose an opportunity for seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
In these resource Wednesday posts we typically recommend things that will educate or inspire you online, but there is something to be said for having tangible, beautiful things around you. I recently moved to a new house and as part of my settling in process got some washi tape and taped a bunch of art onto the wall like a mural. As I go through life I collect things of beauty that strike my fancy, they could be a reminder of a good memory like a ticket stub, or a cool business card or a postcard from my travels. I have art from my sister-in-law Alicia, my friends Katelyn & Tiffany, as well as prints of Sarah's pieces and some of my photographs. Each of these pieces reminds me of an experience that impacted me. Art helps bring contour and depth to my world. Words are another dimension bringer - I love to find good quotes and write them down to refer back to later. Good quotes also have a tendency to find themselves among my art collections.
When I need to feel inspired or remember that I am loved, I look no further than my own bedroom walls. If you want to create similar reminders for yourself, whether it be for your bedroom, office, cubicle, or anywhere else, here are a few ways to get started.
- Pinterest (warning: can be a never ending vortex once you're in it) has many great ideas, handlettered quotes, art pieces, free printable art for gallery walls, etc. I have a board of art ideas, quotes, gallery wall & creative framing ideas. Bright Ideas also has a Pinterest board of quotes, as does Sarah.
- Keep your eyes open, local bookstores often have cool postcards - sometimes for free - and many places have little pieces you can pick up as you browse around.
Print your favorite photos - that's right, social media is great but nothing beats a print.
- I love Artifact Uprising, Social Print Studio, and Parabo Press for printing photos from my phone.
- For SLR photos I have a professional print option as a photographer but if you're taping them to the wall prints from the drugstore will do fine.
- If you want to check out my photos you can order some of them here, let me know if you have any requests!
Make your own art
- Gallery walls in your home are a great place to experiment with making simple art yourself - get out the watercolors or handletter a quote. It doesn't take much to add some pretty inspiration to brighten your creative lifestyle.